I think I’ve almost perfected my recipe for the perfect girls’ weekend. I spent last weekend in NYC with a close girlfriend & Saturday was wonderful, but by end of day Sunday we were patting ourselves on the back for a job well done.
1. A spa fix. I’m a connoisseur of the less than mainstream massage. Give me a Korean Spa with zero modesty & allll the bizarre rules of behavior & I will put the orange jumpsuit on & behave like a regular with glee. This time I hit up Salon De Tokyo http://nymag.com/listings/beauty/salon_de_tokyo/ & it did not disappoint. Yes, the locker room was strangely co-ed & the sauna was the size of a bunk bed that you have to climb into. But the massage was painfully therapeutic & I left so happy about how weird it all was.
2. Stellar meals, but girl food. Meals the men don’t really want to eat with you. We had brunch at https://www.thebutchersdaughter.com/ in Nolita, self proclaimed “cafe, juice bar & vegetable slaughterhouse.” Think avocado toast benedict & turmeric lattes. Girlie, and so good. Almost every other meal was served in a bowl (of course) including https://www.demarianyc.com/. And no girls’ weekend is complete without calling chips, guacamole & margaritas “dinner.
3. A workout (or two). My newest favorite thing to do on my NYC trips is an intro ballet class at Ballet Academy East http://balletacademyeast.com/. In short, go. No experience is needed. You do need ballet slippers, and humility. It is all levels, from beginners to dancers in pointe shoes, there to work on technique. There is a baby grand piano in the corner & live accompaniment. It’s so moving. When the whole class bows to the pianist at the end, try not tearing up. I dare you. I leave there feeling inspired. We also checked out https://sltnyc.com/.
4. A major to-do. What better than the combined strength of two women to tackle one job that nobody wants to do? We went bra shopping. We hit Bloomingdales & both walked with 2 new bras. It also sparked a weekend-long debate... I wear this strapless bra almost exclusively https://m.wacoal-america.com/halo-lace-strapless-underwire-bra-wacoal - under everything. She seemed to think I’m the only woman on the entire planet opting to wear a strapless bra for no practical reason... someone must be with me?! I just hate straps! I did find two cute bralettes. With straps. Training wheels.
5. A lot of relaxing. Wewere in the city, so our typical hours on the beach with books were not going to get logged. But we sunbathed in Central Park & people watched. We were home both nights at 8pm watching a movie. We walked and we talked. 10.2 then 10.3 miles, respectively (yes, we tracked ourselves). We went to see Amy Schumer’s I Feel Pretty. And while it’s definitely a comedy & does not have the strongest message I thought it might, it was hysterical. Feels so good to laugh hard with a good friend.